HomeAway's Summer Hackathon
HomeAway’s second annual InternHackATX is the only hackathon in Austin, TX specifically designed for interns to collaborate and learn how to build and pitch GREAT products. This year's hackathon theme is group travel.
During InternHackATX, hackers will:
- Collaborate and learn from students all around the U.S.
- Receive guidance from HomeAway engineers, product managers, and designers on topics like mobile app and product development.
- Enjoy local eats and activities at the Domain in North Austin.
Are you ready to spend the weekend with us feeding your creative spirit and learning from Team HomeAway?!
Friday, July 13th
5:00 - 9 PM Registration/Check-In
6:00 - 6:15 PM Welcome Remarks
6:30 – 7:30 PM Team Presentations (Hackers can pitch their ideas)
7:30 – 8:30 PM Forming Teams
8:30 PM Hacking Ensues
10:00 PM - 10:45 PM React Native Presentation
Saturday, July 14th
8:00 AM Breakfast/Hacking/HomeAway Mentors Available
10:00 AM – 10:45 AM Mobile Presentation (Optional)
11:00 AM - 11:30 AM Data Science Presentation (Optional)
12:00 PM Lunch
12:00 PM - 12:45 PM Executive Visit and Q&A (Optional)
1:00 PM - 1:45 PM Product Presentation (Optional)
5:00 PM Dinner
8:00 PM Video Game Tournament
Sunday, July 15th
8:00 AM Breakfast
10:00 AM Project Submittal Deadline
10:00 - 10:30 AM Project Presentation Prep
10:30 - 12:00 PM Project Presentations
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 - 1:30 PM Winners Announced, Prizes Awarded
1:30 PM Celebration and Closing
Things to Keep in Mind:
- We will have mentors onsite throughout the hackathon to help with any questions you have.
- We will serve meals throughout the weekend. Please indicate on your registration form if you require a gluten-free, nut-free, or vegan option.
- Slack will be used to communicate with the team during the hackathon. We'll go over how to use Slack on the first day.
- The HomeAway Domain office will remain open overnight and throughout the weekend if you choose to stay to work on your project.
$650 in prizes
One team will claim the top prize. Each team member will receive a $200 Gift Card, one per team member, up to 5 team members.
One team will claim second place. Each team member will receive a $100 Gift Card, one per team member, up to 5 team members.
One team will claim third place. Each team member will receive a $50 Gift Card, one per team member, up to 5 team members.
MVP Prize (8)
Every participant will nominate an MVP from their team by submitting a brief summary on why this person deserves to be named MVP. Each team MVP will receive the MVP prize of $25 Gift Card. Limit 1 per team.
MVP of MVPs (This is a big deal!)
Do you think you have the ultimate MVP on your team? Prove it. When nominating your MVP, tell us why you think they deserve it. Did they make a contribution outside of your team? How did they go above and beyond? The MVP with the mostest will win a $100 Gift Card for their awesomeness.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- You must be currently enrolled in an Undergraduate, Masters or Ph.D. program.
- You must currently be an intern or student graduating between May 2018 to May 2022.
- Maximum team size is 5 people. (Less than 5 team members is also acceptable)
- You must be present at 10 AM CST, July 15th at the HomeAway Domain office to be considered for prizes.
Please submit your project through this DevPost site. All entries must be submitted by 10 AM on July 15th to be considered.
Either type of submission will be considered:
- Submission Type 1: Source Code (if applicable), Slide & Video Presentation
- Submission Type 2: Slide & Video Presentation
Video Presentation Format:
Video presentation should include an introduction of the team and explanation of your idea and demo if applicable.
How to enter
Participation will require that you are in person at the HomeAway office at The Domain in Austin, TX through July 15th to represent and present your project for judging.
Software Engineer - Mobile
Hyuk Jun Choi
Software Engineer - Intern
Does the project solve a real customer problem? How well does it do it? Does the project respect the Group Travel theme? How relevant is the solution to this customer segment’s needs?
Originality and Awesomeness
How innovative, creative, and unique is the idea? Does it approach the problem in an original way compared to what exists in the market today?
How efficient and technologically elegant is the solution? Is the project fully functional end-to-end?
Are the problem and solution clearly captured and communicated? How is the quality of the pitch? Is the presentation clear and within the time limit?